Saving our climate… and costs
We have been pushing to make alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, and biomass as viable alternatives to conventional sources for the last few decades now.
Until we can totally rely on alternative and renewable energies, we must find ways to best utilise, improve the efficiencies of, and manage the energy resources we rely on now. This is done through energy management.
What is energy management?
Energy management is a process by which we can effectively manage how much energy we produce and how to control, monitor, and conserve as much energy as possible while still producing enough to meet our demands.
Economic competitiveness and climate conscientiousness are two motivating reasons for practicing good energy management. With economic competitiveness, we minimise energy costs through efficient and economic energy usage while still maximising our business’ profits The cost should be reduced in a manner such that the work processes are not affected. Energy management benefits the environment, too, as we seek to conscientiously and judiciously plan, direct, and control the supply and consumption of energy to reduce pollution while still enjoying our productivity and comforts.
It requires strategies and policies, organisational changes, energy audits, energy conservation measures, administrative actions, training and awareness programs, the monitoring of energy conservation efforts, and more.
Objectives of energy management and energy management systems (EMS)
The main objectives of energy management are resource conservation, environmental protection, and cost savings. To reach these goals, one must employ energy management systems (EMS) into their operations. .
EMS consists of policy frameworks, processes, and procedures for organisations to follow for optimal energy management and usage. With the depletion of natural resources, switching to smart grids and smart metering helps in reducing the amount of energy consumed. Sticking to an energy management plan that focuses on the efficiencies of your equipment and systems will not only do good for the environment, but the economical approach to energy usage will save you money, too. Therefore, having a simple but effective EMS plan helps in maximising profits by reducing costs and enhancing the efficiency of the business, all in the net effort to reduce energy wastes and emissions.
The typical energy saving for any plant or building, for example, using basic energy management principles could be 10–15 percent of the total consumption. This percentage may rise to 25–35 percent for larger-scale energy management programs that have been operating for a few years. To achieve a higher degree of savings, a long-term energy management program that is spread over for three years or more is required.
Some energy management tips
• The central task of energy management is to reduce costs for the provision of energy in buildings and facilities without compromising work processes. The simplest way to introduce energy management is to find the effective use of energy to maximise profit by minimising costs. Energy management could save up to 70 percent of the energy consumption in a typical building or plant.
• Avoid extra-load at peak time. Doing heavy operations during peak times is very costly.
• Turn off machines during shutdowns, inspections, maintenance, and when not in use.
• Perform regular and efficient maintenance of your equipment and systems. The costs of repairs is one thing, but having inefficient machinery that eats up more energy than it ought to are additional costs that can be avoided.
• Mind air and steam leakages in your building. These leakages are extra loads on boilers and compressors.
• Install energy-saving lightbulbs; replace incandescent lamps with LEDs, as these can save a significant amount of energy.
On top of this, it helps to have a powerful energy management systems to help you track energy consumptions and costs in real time. EMS products like ClearVUE. PRO or ClearVUE Lite help you achieve your energy-saving goals. ClearVUE Systems provides state-of-the-art energy management software and hardware with powerful costings engines to help you save money in addition to cutting your energy wastes and carbon emissions.Back to Blog