What is ESOS?
ESOS, or the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme, is a mandatory energy assessment and energy-saving identification scheme for large organisations in the UK. The scheme is designed to help these organisations identify cost-effective ways to reduce their energy consumption and meet their energy-saving obligations under the EU Energy Efficiency Directive.
What is ESOS Phase 3?
ESOS Phase 3 is the latest assessment period for the scheme. It began on December 5, 2023. Businesses that qualify for ESOS Phase 3 will be required to carry out energy assessments, identify energy-saving opportunities, and report their findings to the Environment Agency.
Do I qualify for ESOS Phase 3?
ESOS Phase 3 applies to large undertakings and their corporate groups established in the UK.
A “large undertaking” is defined as an enterprise that employs 250 or more persons or has an annual turnover greater than €50 million (£44 million) and an annual balance sheet greater than €43 million (£38 million). This includes a wide range of organisations such as private companies, public sector bodies, and charitable organisations.
Undertakings that qualify for ESOS must carry out energy assessments and identify cost-effective energy savings opportunities to comply with the scheme.
ESOS Phase 3 timeline
- Qualification date – December 31, 2022 is when you should have determined whether you qualify with the ESOS Phase 3 criteria.
- Compliance date – The compliance date for ESOS Phase 3 is December 31, 2023. Organisations that meet the qualification criteria must comply with the scheme or face potential fines.
- Assessment period – The time frame used for calculations and assessments. The frame should consist of 12 consecutive months starting no earlier than 12 months before the qualification date and ending on or before the compliance date. This means it can range from December 31, 2021, to December 31, 2022, or as late as December 5, 2022, to December 5, 2023.
How can my business prepare for ESOS Phase 3?
One of the key ways that your business can prepare for ESOS Phase 3 is by investing in energy management technology. This technology can help you to track and monitor your energy usage in real-time, identify areas where energy is being wasted, and target specific areas for reduction. This can help your organisation to achieve significant cost savings and reduce their carbon footprint, in line with the scheme’s objectives.
Features of energy management technology’s that can help you improve energy efficiency include:
- Energy monitoring and tracking tools
- Des rapports automatisés sur l’énergie
- Energy benchmarking and analytics
- Building management systems integration
- Energy performance visualization
- Carbon accounting and reporting
By using energy management technology, businesses can also set and track energy reduction targets, monitor their progress, and measure the impact of their energy-saving efforts. This can help organizations to achieve significant cost savings and reduce their carbon footprint, in line with the scheme’s objectives.
To prepare for ESOS Phase 3, your business should take the following steps:
- Have a lead assessor carry out the energy assessments. The lead assessor must be a person with the appropriate qualifications and experience to carry out the assessments.
- Invest in energy management technology to track and monitor energy usage in real-time and target specific areas for reduction.
- Identify all the buildings, industrial processes, and transport that your organisation is responsible for, and that consume energy.
- Carry out energy assessments on all identified energy-consuming activities.
- Identify cost-effective energy-saving opportunities and implement them where possible.
- Prepare a report on the energy assessments and energy-saving opportunities, and submit it to the Environment Agency by December 5, 2023.
By taking these steps, businesses can ensure that they are prepared for ESOS Phase 3 and can take advantage of the energy-saving opportunities that the scheme presents.
ESOS Phase 3 consulting with ClearVUE.Business
ClearVUE.Business combines world-class energy management consultancy and technology solutions to help businesses confidently comply with ESOS. We oversee all matters related to business carbon assessments and energy compliance, including producing energy and carbon reports for not only ESOS, but also BEGES, TCFD, and more. This allows businesses to not only meet their legal obligations but also to take action to reduce their carbon footprint and improve their energy efficiency.
ClearVUE.Zero’s deep and real-time energy and carbon data tracking means your business can create up-to-date ESOS-compliant reports in seconds. You can pinpoint areas of concern that need immediate attention, ensure you prevent energy waste, meet new net zero legislative requirements, and strengthen your sustainability credentials.